Tuesday, April 22, 2014

A New, Sweet Suprise

I'm sitting in my new kitchen.

Drinking a Restoration Pale Ale complements of Melissa Rose (space) Mary Coyle. Rose after one grandmother and Mary after the other. Not to be confused with the nonexistent grandmother "Rosemary." So Irish having so many names.


And I'm eating a home made pizza: garlic, shallots, artichokes, pine nuts, marinara, pesto, some chili flakes, some basil sprinkle, mozzarella, Parmesan (with a capital P, people), evoo (not to copy RachelR) and S+P (not 500) on a TJs crust that really needed a rolling pin that I don't have...
Will put on my shopping list next to accent chair and collect desk and couch.

And I'm listening to The Very Best of Otis Redding. Wish it were on vinyl. Must put record player on shopping list or collection list from dear old dad. In particular, "That's How Strong My Love Is." Doesn't get any better than that. Or maybe "Mr. Pitiful" -which might be what I am.

Regardless of a "coming together house," or "coming together life" for that matter, I have a decorative basket full of Easter Eggs complements of Julie Murphy better known as Mama Murph. There's also a tray in the basket (which is really a pink mixing bowl) that says "Have an Eggcellent Easter." Please tell me you read my last post. Or don't. You're eyes will glaze over. And lord knows I can't lose another reader or I'd be down to none.


As being alone in a new city will do to you, I wikipedia'd (It's def a verb. Don't fight me on this) "Easter Eggs."
As I'm staring at them and as I helped my cousin put on an Easter egg hunt for my little second cousins yesterday. They were pretty fast at finding those eggs. And I heard the 4 year old use the word googleplex. And I heard the just-turned-6-year-old use onomatopoeia not too long ago. I guess they're just fast in general. Growing up.

Eggs in general are super interesting. Not only do they rhyme with yours truly but they also act as an emulsifier for cooking and baking, contain two macronutrients but can be separated super easily unlike other combination foods, can be cooked like a googleplex amount of different ways, are considered a home for something to grow and if that something doesn't grow it's food and if it does grow it's food. It's just kind of an amazing food.

And on top of all that! Along with spring, it's a symbol for rebirth and the empty tomb of Jesus. Who knew! Give it time and I'm not too sure that egg would be empty.


It's funny how something that is comprised of protein and fat turned into plastic loaded with sugar like Jelly Beans. One more interesting fact about it. I guess I'll have to revise my statement and say it can be easily separated into three macronutrients. Especially at the hands of 4 & 6 year olds.

These girls are such good eaters for their age. Sure they like sweets but they eat far more and far better than other kids I've babysat in the past. It's too bad that sugar is introduced as a reward or holiday treat at such an early age. Is it because we're a wealthy enough country that we don't find real eggs exciting? Or is it just another example of capitalism on the hunt?
But as I heard the 6 year old say after dessert "that has 2 grams of sugar but you have to look at total carbohydrates." I can't even teach my patients that. I guess education is the key even though in my current state "knowing is not controlling" as repeated often by mama murph. 

I think it's the adults who changed the Easter egg hunt into a Sugar egg hunt. It's too bad. Guess I shouldn't be speaking-This is my first home alone and the first thing I put in my mouth today was dark chocolate covered pistachios. Just because I could. I got them at the World Famous Dekalb Farmer's Market-next post to inform and delight. Leaving LA is also calling falling off a healthy eating trend... 
And leaving LA is also a rebirth of sorts. I needed new windshield wipers as mine had dried up in Southern California. Apparently something does change and gets old in that environment. Who knew.
I'm on the hunt for my own new life. Wonder what will be inside. And despite everything I wrote, I hope its a sweet surprise.


No comments:

Post a Comment