Tuesday, February 11, 2014

HiKcals in NoCal

Entering O'hare the days prior to Christmas is like touching down into feeding frenzy. The days leading up to my departure were bleak in terms of fridge food. 
I have the faintest recollection of some quasi fresh spinach, a couple cubes of marinated tofu and like a chunk of Parmesan that had served some noshes for some weeks. Totally unwilling to go grocery shopping before skipping town led to the unbelievable anticipation of Portillos. I had half a mind to travel down to the LBC for a Chicago dog. But really? I couldn't even get to the grocery store let alone the 405. (only free parking in LA...anyone? You've all heard it before? Darn). The thought of traveling before traveling was definitely out of the question. 
So what did I eat if not a dog? Some tofu. Really. This is what I was working with. 
SoooooooCal. 

The plane landing was like entering a whole other world. I think it's called Siberia. Except way more excited about Christmas lights and capitalism. I think those are the same things, actually. 




My folks and that other Chicago dog, bless their hearts, picked my ass up at 1am. And what was I doing? Standing in the terminal terrified of the tundra. We got home at 2am and my mother and father ask if I wanted a glass of wine. This is what I'm working with.





The next couple of days passed with cookies x I'm too embarrassed to admit, wine x uncountable & tasting in Michigan, pizza x 2, beer for an army, burgers x 2 , Italian beef, Mels Blue & Tangy in St. Louis, pasta, Bavarian pretzels dipped in cheese sauce x 2... I'm not even kidding. It was like a Christmas miracle. Miles away from my tofu. 




As I was sipping on coffee with a newspaper, I told my folks about my potential Long Beach adventure for Portillos and said how "SoCal" it was that I ended up with tofu. 
Mama murph half listening says, "why? cause it has so many calories?"  
"Huh? No! It's like really low calorie"
"Then what do you mean by socal?"
"Oh! Southern California!"

...And here I ended up two thousand miles away with some seriously High Cal which is So not Cal. 
The Portillo's totally hit the spot. Brought me back home for the holidays. To the open campus senior high school hangout spot.

Although I was quite surprised to find a plethora of Asian food in none other than Naperville Illinois and a Hibachi restaurant in Decatur Illinois. Joy Yee Noodle, although not anticipated, was on some level way more exciting than Portillos. Got to hand it to the place, I was expecting a typical Midwest white Christmas. Rather impressed. I suppose it wasn't on my radar Senior year..
O come, all yee noodle lovers, joyful and triumphant.

Hot. Chilly. Wiener. Dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment