Friday, November 22, 2013

Call Me Dr. Nick

I had the pleasure of driving back in time the other night. Or back in location. Or back in food habits. Regardless it was pretty special.

I was invited to Culver City for some live music at a little dive called the Cinema Bar. For some reason, although at 5:00pm in my day I had only eaten a sprinkled doughnut and a disgustingly large chocolate chip muffin that I picked up from a mom&pop shop on my way home from the bar the night before-only? Did I really say "only?", I was feeling like some corn beef. 
Maybe once you start sliding down that slope it just gets a bit easier to keep sliding. That grease is just so slippery.
But man I'm glad I did. 

Sue is a yelp freak. I mention a craving and Sue is on it like flies lap swimming in Kool-Aid at a summer picnic in Illinois. 2 seconds later I got a link to Johnnies Pastrami.
Prayers answers. 
It was heaven. And maybe the place I'd go after eating a doughnut, a disgustingly large chocolate chip muffin and something on Johnnies Pastrami's menu. 
...also I failed to mention, rather purposely left out the fact, that after the bar I had a coconut doughnut before going to sleep too. Oh the shame. 



Ok, getting back to the beginning. 
So as fate would have it, Johnnie was located just 1minute walking distance from Cinema Bar. I know that doesn't sound like much but really, this is LA. And don't believe Cher's father when he says "Cher! Everything in the valley takes 20 minutes!" He's a liar. 

I digress.

So Sue and I were to meet at Johnnies for a bite before the live music. I got off the 405 in Culver City and something in me just felt like I had landed in Illinois. I relayed this fact to Kevin later, who is from Illinois mind you, who said "yep. Culver shitty." 
I didn't know if I felt bad for Culver City or defensive about Illinois or ...well I don't really know. Or bad for myself since I had really liked the feeling.

I arrived first. 
Sauntered up to the diner counter seating and became immediately hypnotized by the man preparing pastrami. 
Maybe it was Johnnie?
The lady taking my order had easily worked there for 40 years. I don't know if she knew it. But she had. 

I asked what beer she had. 
Miller Lite. Bottled. Sorted. 
This was Illinois after all.

And then I waited for Sue while watching this man pile croissants with juicy meat. Like 16oz of juicy meat. And served to one human being. It was truly amazing. 

Sue arrived. 
Corn beef on rye with swiss and fries arrived. 
(at this point you should really have a look of the websites gallery)


And I'm glad that I survived another day to tell the story. 
I'm worried about the waitress though. She may not have as many story days left in her. 

After Johnnies we drove 1 minute instead of walking...because I mean really, that would just be too much effort now. Walked into a bar no bigger than my family room and ordered a canned PBR. Then I saddled up for some live listenings of Mr. Sean Faycullen rocking an acoustic Katy Perry cover. Oh Illinois. How I missed you so. 

Sue, also from Illinois, truly brought it home with this little memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment