Monday, February 18, 2013

Save Me, San Francisco

I drove through the heart of LA this morning while it was waking up. It had a rhythm about it.
I cannot lie, I was a sucker for this place today.

Still not sure it's a city. Not a suburb. Just, kind of...a place. With different pockets that elicit different feelings. All can be good but disconnected in some way. Making it lonely in some way. And cool in others. Making it hard to come up with a concise feeling about this "place" itself. And when you think you have some kind of feeling about it, it goes and changes on you.

I commonly hear the phrase "it takes a couple years to feel like home here." I heard someone say it takes at least 5 good years before you feel like you've figured it out. Five years? These are some five good years I'm in right now..
Call me selfish but they're pretty precious years. 

I must admit it is a wonderful place. I always feel like I'm cheating on it when I say otherwise.
Good food, good beaches, good vibes when you hit them. Not sure if it's my place but a great one when you're riding it's changing rhythm. Especially riding with windows cracked in February. Can't complain. It just feels more like a vacation than a home. And as much as we all want to stay on vacation one more day, it's really nice to get back home.
Giving into it is the way to get it. Letting it get you as opposed to you striving to get it.
When I stop trying is when I like it the most. I think...
I mean, I'm not thinking?

I went to San Francisco not too long ago. I felt an insurmountable love for the city before my foot even hit the pavement. It's a feeling I still haven't really gotten in LA.
But apples and oranges.
It's just love. You don't even have to know it to love it. And it certainly doesn't take much thinking. It just is. Between the sourdough, chocolate, beer & seafood. It's there. Between the trams, trolly, BART & gridded sidewalks. It's there. In the pulse. Racing through mine. The food and the love. The flow of it & me moving within it. And it within me.









No comments:

Post a Comment