Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Even Artichokes Have Hearts

Regina's in town tonight.

I saw my main man Andrew Bird kick at at the Greek Theater Sunday night. Lake Forest grad, Northwestern trained talent straight from the burbs of Chicago. Felt like home. Especially because I brought my cousin.
The man is wicked talented. His whistle is unreal. And the audience... well was so appreciative and taken by him that you could actually hear crickets during the breaks in his songs. Real crickets not like awkward silence crickets. Keep in mind the Greek is an outdoor theater.

Now it's Regina Spektor's turn. I saw her once. She is a beautiful soul. Honest as they come. Her lyrics and her love.

I didn't get tickets for this one. I wish I had. I was going to walk up the hill and have a listen in on it...
Maybe if I leave now I can still have my cake and eat it too...?

In honor of her and not going to see her, I threw on her “Live in London” album today. The songs are so bittersweet. The whole lineup brought me back to exactly a year ago when this album played on repeat in my car. Actually right back to a farm in southern Illinois. I believe I blogged about that event before. But then again I've blogged about Regina before too.

I can't believe that was a year ago. Am I the same person?
I feel enlightened and hollow. A little more homeless a little less homeless. 
A walking vegetable.

Her song starts...
The food that I'm eating, is suddenly tasteless. I know I'm alone now. I know what it tastes like.
What a soulful line of emptiness. Beautiful.

I know music is good for my soul. It's like food. It can just taste a bit bitter and a bit sweet at times. Things will start tasting good.
Even artichokes have hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment