Saturday, May 17, 2014

Land Shark

I paws a moment to discuss another creature's nutrition.

This cat I found under my car. We still have a love/hate relationship. More love these days after the Sodashi gave him (it is conclusive "cat" is a "him") the most dangerously awesome mani/pedi. She's pretty much spiritually sent.

I've named him "Mo." Short for "lil Monster." And possibly because "cat" was androgynous for awhile. So if we decide he needs an "s," we're all covered. But really, it's still "cat."

Now as previously stated, I don't know the first thing about cats, let alone kittens. But I got a decent crash course thanks to Paige, Todd Hornberger, spiritually sent Sodashi and Jaxson Galaxy. Oh! And the lovely folks over at Petco. And pretty much anyone else I meet because I end up either talking about my cat or explaining traces teeth marks and scratches. I understand why parents talk about their kids. They are all consuming. And cute. And righteous pains. And a big responsibility.

So let me just give you a little background:
I live in a 490 square foot attic apartment which is kind of like something between a studio and 1 bedroom. It is decorated in a fashion that is a kitten's dream. Lots of scarfs. Lots of drapes. Lots of delicate things to knock over. And it isn't easy to quarantine the thing in another room. So cooking and eating have become a well thought out plan.
The litterbox has no where to go. It is the first thing you see as you climb the stairs and approach the apartment. And this thing can really go. I mean it's so small and produces so much stink. I'm horrified and jealous at the same time.



Anyways, it is a land shark. Period.
It is always on the prowl. We play prior to eating to act as though he killed something and gets the reward. Hunting, stalking, eating, prowling. Repeat. And often times directed at me...



I bought dry food for this critter. Wet food just kind of gives me the creeps. But maybe half dry half wet may be the way to go - as this one may have altered mental status secondary to malabsorption and increased appetite  resulting in increased attacks directed towards me. I'm so lucky.
I gave the lil guy leftover salmon one time and he went nuts. It was like an instant addiction.

So I'm reminded that while doing dietetic school in St. Louis, there was a dietitian on staff at the St. Louis based Purina company. It makes sense. I didn't know how much to feed this thing. I didn't know what it's little body would have trouble absorbing. I don't know what would be good for his teeth. I didn't know how to transition to a new food brand.
Or that having a worm may be causing malabsorption, diarrhea, deficiencies resulting in an increase need to bite my ankles.
Unfortunately for Purina, when I switched brands, the cat calmed down a bit but it was also at the time of the top shelf mani/pedi. Who can say for sure.

Either way. This thing needs food. And I'm not letting it climb a tree to find it. So if I have to give it to him, I want it to be good. So that he can be good. And I can be good.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment